A Great Staff

I can't believe that it is already November.  This year is flying by.  As you all know, it has been a bit of a challenge starting the school year without Caitlin or an after school staff member.  On top of being short staffed, I have been given the role of Director.  Despite my strong preference of working with the kids, I feel like I'm slowly learning and getting on top of the director responsibilities and desperately hoping to be back in the classroom more in the near future.

Luckily for both me and the kids, we have been blessed this year with an excellent staff.  Many are new, but all have done a fantastic job supporting the children, each other, and me.  Below is a little about each staff member.

WES and SME staff at the VAECY Conference
(Not everyone was present for the picture)

Meghan Carroll:
One of our newest staff members, Meghan Carroll is working in Caitlin's classroom with Kim Smith. The two of them are doing a great job keeping Caitlin's routines going and offering the children a positive and fun classroom environment.  Meghan moved to Vershire from the San Francisco Bay area. While in California she helped run a Montessori Toddler School for several years.  She was also a professional cook and enjoys gardening and hiking.  She lives with her husband and dog named Dusty.  Meghan hopes to have chickens again soon as well. She is happy to be working with the Westshire preschoolers and loves both classes.



Cindy Bacon
Cindy is also one of our newest employees.  Unlike Meghan, Cindy is a local, growing up right here in the area.  Cindy retired last year after working 17 years as a dental assistant.  She has 4 grandchildren that she spends a lot of time with and is excited now to spend time with the children at Westshire.  Cindy works in my classroom Monday - Thursday afternoons so that I can get my director paperwork done.  She also runs the after school portion of our preschool.  She enjoys gardening and hiking when she isn't working.


Meg McCormack
Although Meg is new to the preschool this year, she began working at Westshire last year, running the after school program for the older students.  Meg graduated in 2018 from UVM with a degree in Music Education and Special Education.  She sings in Cantibile (an all women's group) and showed us her talent when she and Claire (one of our preschoolers) sang a duet out on the playground.  Meg grew up locally and attended Samuel Morey and Rivendell Academy.  She has a cat named Willie.



Sebrina Farnham
Another staff member new to the Westshire preschool family!  Sebrina has worked in childcare for 10 years, most recently as a teacher at Maple Leaf and then a nanny for children who had attended Maple Leaf.  She has two children that attend Thetford Elementary School.  Sebrina enjoys being outside and baking.  She has a dog named Ottis and will be getting chickens in the spring.


Brittany Driscoll Cray
I welcome Brittany back with open arms.  She was my assistant for two years before she took time off to stay home with her son, Garrett ,who is now old enough to attend our program.  Brittany has more than 10 years of experience in childcare, and I am thrilled to have her back in my classroom.  She has three children who attend WES and SME.  They have two dogs: Maggie and Maple.  She enjoys spending time with her family when she is not at school.


Kim Smith
Our one returning paraprofessional from last year!  Kim first started working for Westshire (in my class) seven years ago when I first arrived in the district.  We taught together for a few years before Kim changed to a childcare center closer to her home.  Two years ago when a position opened up in Caitlin's classroom, Kim returned to work with us.  She has done a wonderful job keeping things going in Caitlin's classroom this year. Kim grew up on a local farm and continues to live near her childhood home with her husband and two children.



Melissa Partington
Melissa is our preschool special educator.  She works at both WES and SME.  She has worked as a special educator for 4 years and is an amazing support to both teachers and students in our district.  Melissa grew up in VT.  She enjoys hanging out with her sisters and their pets (sheep, pigs, cats and dogs).  She loves reading!

Caitlin Leonard
Caitlin grew up in Thetford and has taught in our district for 4 years.  She is currently taking several months off to spend with her new baby boy, Chase.  Despite not being in the classroom, Caitlin is a constant support to me, giving me encouragement when the paperwork threatens to take me down and always having a positive word when I need it.  She is working in the background to help me keep things running smoothly.  We're all looking forward to Caitlin's return in late January.  She lives with her husband, her son, and many animals including dogs, cats, chickens and geese.  She has a huge heart and is likely to take in any animal that needs a home.


Heidi Nichols
I grew up in the Upper Valley, moved to Alaska for a few years after college and then moved back to the area to be near family.  I have taught in 2nd grade for over 10 years, 4th grade, and in several different preschools in AK, NH and VT.  I coached high school soccer at both Hanover High School for over 15 years and Rivendell Academy for 3.  I've also enjoyed coaching youth soccer while my kids grew up, and I continue to coach ski jumping for Ford Sayre.  I love cross country skiing, biking and running (even though I have gotten considerably slower in the past few years). I live in Lyme with my husband, two children, a dog named Wesley and a cat named CC.  I love teaching children of all ages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gross Motor

Southworth Park